Chocolate craving? Cake craving?
Being pregnant, I know all about cravings – at the moment I think about sweet stuff ALL THE TIME. So over the weekend I decided to bake myself a treat and came up with these delicious cupcakes. They are grain-free, being made from almond flour, and they can also be made dairy-free if you use an alternative milk. The cacao contributes useful antioxidants and minerals, while coconut oil is good for improving digestion and helps boost your immune system. The combination of cacao and coconut in these cakes gives them a sweet and chocolatey taste, which means that additional sweeteners can be kept to a minimum.
• 1½ cups almond meal
• ¼ cup cacao powder
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 2 organic free range eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• ¼ cup coconut oil (or other oil of choice)
• ¼ cup milk (can be dairy, almond, soy)
• 2 tablespoons sweetener (honey, coconut palm sugar, agave)
• ½ cup blueberries
• ½ cup cacao nibs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- Combine almond meal, cacao powder and baking powder.
- Add eggs, vanilla, oil, milk and the sweetener and mix well.
- Finally stir through your blueberries and cacao nibs.
- Spoon into cupcake or muffin tray.
- Bake for 25 minutes until cooked through.